I wanted to take a moment to express deep gratitude for your support for my campaign to be DC Council Chairwoman. Your donations, offers to babysit and share meals, and words of encouragement have meant the world to me. The strength of community uplifts and motivates me on this journey for meaningful change.
Thanks to your support, we are the first — and only — campaign in the race for DC Council Chair to use and qualify for DC’s Fair Elections program. That means I am focused on small dollar donations from DC residents and that I’m not accepting a single dollar from corporations or their political action committees. It also means I will be engaged with and accountable to you, not moneyed interests.
In just seven weeks since launching this campaign, we’ve received more than 450 donations and had over 100 friends, neighbors, and supporters volunteer for the campaign, which has allowed us to:
- Hold weekly neighborhood walks with community leaders across DC to talk about neighborhood- and Ward-level challenges and solutions
- Attend several meet and greets hosted by neighbors across different neighborhoods in DC, including one focused on education and an upcoming one focused on transportation and traffic safety
- Provide a multilingual campaign website that is professionally translated into Spanish and Amharic. (We are so thankful for the wonderful work of María L. Rivellese, Progressive Translators, and Hailu Gtsadek, African Translation.)
This month, we’re aiming to reach 600 donors by focusing on increased awareness of the campaign through our volunteers and donors. This is only the beginning of our efforts to engage residents as part of this grassroots, people-powered campaign, but we need your help. Your trust and credibility with family, friends, and neighbors can help us double and triple our support, which is critical at this stage of the campaign to show credibility and viability against a longtime, entrenched incumbent.
Here are three things you can do to make a big difference:
- If you haven’t maxed out your donation or if there are others in your household who haven’t donated, please consider a small or recurring donation.
- Copy, paste, and personalize these draft text messages and/or draft email, and send them to your family, friends, and neighbors.
- Post on social media why you support the campaign, and share the donation link, campaign website, and/or campaign video.
Thank you for your support. I can’t wait to continue the work of engaging residents and fighting for a brighter, more resilient future for all DC. Join me on this journey, bring your friends and family along, and let’s create positive change.
Erin Palmer, Democrat for DC Council Chairwoman